Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Still In Shock

We got home from dinner with friends on Sunday. I still hadn't gotten a visit from AF. My stomach had been hurting, but I couldn't figure out if it was cramping or just an upset stomach. I had finished the Provera for a week already. Still nothing. I was planning on calling the doctor Monday morning to see what I needed to do next to get things moving. I remembered that I had three PT's in the closet and figured I would just take a test so I could tell them it was negative when I called. I did the test, laid it on the side of the tub and went about my tasks. A few minutes later I turned around to grab the test and was totally shocked! It said "Pregnant"!! What?? How?? I tested the day before I started the Provera and it was negative!?! I grabbed the test and brought it to DW, who was laying across the bed. "Look. At. This." (There goes all the ideas for awesome ways to tell your husband! I knew I wouldn't be able to pull anything off!) All he could say was, "Are you for real??" I just stood there in shock. How did this happen?? Then my mind went immediately to the Provera. What could happen if you conceive while on it? Of course I had to rush right out of the room and google it! I found a few articles that said there are no problems in the early stages. One article even said that they used to give Provera to women who thought they were pregnant. If you didn't bleed, you were pregnant! Phewww! OK, now I feel a little better, but what if it was a mistake? I decided to wait a few hours and try again. Another positive!! Neither of us slept much that night. Our Dr.'s office doesn't open until 8:30, so as soon as 8:30 rolled around I called (I got to push choice 3. The one that says "If your pregnant or think you are pregnant...."!). Voice mail??? I called three times over the course of almost three hours before she FINALLY answered. She told me they couldn't get me in until next week. I calmly explained to her that I would have a nervous breakdown if I couldn't come in before that (I used those words, I promise!). I went over my history with her and told her that I was on Provera and was still a little worried about the side effects. She told me she could squeeze me in on Thursday, but that was the earliest. She had a possible cancellation tomorrow (Tuesday), but she would have to call me back. I thanked her and prayed that at least I could get in Tuesday. About an hour later she called back and said I could have the cancellation!! Thank God! Then on my way to lunch, she called again. The nurse had seen my chart and the note about Provera and wanted to see me right away. Could I come in at 3:30? I was very concerned that she wanted to see me right away, but relieved that I didn't have to wait until Tuesday. When I got there I had to fill out more paper work (I had to give my whole life story last time!). When I asked the receptionist why, she asked me if it was the same issue as last time. Ummmm, kinda, but not really!! When they called me back, the nurse told me I had to give a urine sample for a PG test. I go into the bathroom and there are regular plastic cups and sterile cups. Which do I use?? I went with the sterile cup because I figured it was the safest choice. They brought DW back and took us both to an exam room. Of course I am sitting there stressing. "What if it doesn't test positive again? I knew I should have bought more tests and tried again this morning!" The Dr. finally comes in and makes some small talk and then finally....the test is positive! He looked over my chart and said that because we have no idea when I ovulated, we can't calculate how far along I am. He said I had to get blood drawn while I was there and then again on Wednesday. They will compare the hormone levels and if they were high enough and rising we would be able to confirm it was a viable pregnancy. Oh, and he confirmed the Provera was used as a PG test, so no problems there!

I'm still super scared. I went and got the second blood test this morning, but they won't have the results for me until tomorrow. Ughhh! The stress! I think I will feel a lot better when the results come back. Then we can figure out how far I am!

We are going over to my parents house tonight to tell them. I think I would like to wait until at least after I got the blood work back, but DW is so excited! I have only told you guys and my sister and DW told his brother. I guess it's OK because if, God forbid, anything bad happened, I would tell my family anyway. We are just going to make them promise not to tell anyone. Especially DW's mom! She likes to gossip with the family and there are a lot of cousins on DW's side that I wouldn't want to have to untell!

I just want to say again how much I cherish all of the congratulations from each of you. I was so hesitant to post my good news. I know it hurts every time someone else gets it. I don't ever want to hurt any of you. We all get hurt enough from the others.

P.s. I have taken a PG test every day. I am certifiably crazy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story, thanks for sharing! Lol made me laugh that you took a PG test every day, but I'm sure I would too! It give me hope that one day I'd get an unexpected positive too.

AL said...

I'm so glad they could fit you in for the appointment and that the meds are no problem in early pregnancy. I think I would start taking test like crazy too, just to confirm that I'm still pregnant and just to FINALLY see it be a positive!!

Marybeth said...

wow! now I feel silly for suggesting the provera. I'm really glad that there were no problems with you taking it! Congratulations and I look forward to hearing about your beta results tomorrow!