Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Plan

We've added a third person to our baby making team. Dr. D, who was wonderful. He thinks I am not ovulating, so this means lots of test in my future. As soon as my period decides to show up this month we can get started. I like to know about things, so I am sorry if this post bores you, but I have done a lot of research and I am posting what I found in case anyone is interested.

Test #1:
Blood test to check levels of Estrodiol, FSH & LH and Prolactin levels
CD3

An estradiol test measures the amount of a hormone called estradiol in the blood. Estradiol is the most important form of estrogen found in the body. Most of it is made in and released from the ovaries, adrenal cortex, and the placenta, which forms during pregnancy to feed a developing baby.
Estradiol is responsible for the growth of the female uterus, Fallopian tubes, and vagina. It promotes breast development and the growth of the outer genitals. The hormone plays a role in the distribution of body fat in women and stops the process of growing taller.


I'm sure you know what FSH & LH is, but I thought this was interesting:
Follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) is one of the most important hormones involved in the natural menstrual cycle as well as in pharmacological (drug-induced) stimulation of the ovaries. It is the main hormone involved in producing mature eggs in the ovaries..
FSH is the same hormone that is contained in the injectable gonadotropins which are used to produce multiple eggs for infertility treatment.

In women, LH helps regulate the menstrual cycle and egg production (ovulation). The level of LH in a woman's body varies with the phase of the menstrual cycle. It increases rapidly just before ovulation occurs, about midway through the cycle (day 14 of a 28-day cycle). This is called an LH surge. Luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone levels rise and fall together during the monthly menstrual cycle.
Prolactin doesn't just cause your body to increase milk production - it also affects your ovulation and menstrual cycles. This is why it is nearly impossible to become pregnant when you are breastfeeding. (In fact, prolactin is 90% effective against pregnancy in the first months after birth).
The last one, prolactin, I hadn't heard anything about:
Prolactin inhibits two hormones necessary to your ovulation: follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH). Both of these hormones are responsible for helping your eggs to develop and mature in the ovaries, so that they can be released during ovulation. When you have excess prolactin in your bloodstream, ovulation is not triggered, and you will be unable to become pregnant. Prolactin may also affect your menstrual cycle and the regularity of your periods.

Test #2:
Hysterosalpingogram or HSG Test
CD7-12

Radiographic contrast (dye) is injected into the uterine cavity through the vagina and cervix. The uterine cavity fills with dye and if the fallopian tubes are open the dye will fill the tubes and spill into the abdominal cavity.
This determines if the fallopian tubes are open or blocked and whether the blockage is located at the junction of the tube and uterus (proximal) or whether it is at the other end of the fallopian tube (distal). These are the areas where the tube is most commonly blocked. Very successful treatment for tubal factor infertility is available.
There are other things that potentially can be seen on a hysterosalpingogram other that whether the tubes are open or blocked. The uterine cavity is evaluated for the presence of congenital uterine anomalies, polyps, fibroid tumors or uterine scar tissue. The fallopian tubes are also examined for defects within them, for suggestion of partial blockage, and for evidence of pelvic scar tissue in the abdominal cavity near the tubes.

I think this is the one I am most afraid of. Dr. D said the test itself is more uncomfortable than painful, but to take 600mg of Ibuprofen before the test because my uterus will cramp. DW has some 800mg Ibuprofen that his dentist gave him. I think I will take one!

Test #3:
Blood test to check levels of Progesterone
CD-21

A progesterone test measures the amount of the hormone progesterone in a blood sample. Progesterone is a female hormone produced by the ovaries during release of a mature egg from an ovary (ovulation). Progesterone helps prepare the lining of the uterus (endometrium) to receive the egg if it becomes fertilized by a sperm. If the egg is not fertilized, progesterone levels drop and menstrual bleeding begins.

So, this is the plan! Again, I'm sorry if all this is boring, but I'm hoping maybe someone who reads it will learn something new like I did.
I'm glad Dr. D wanted to do all these things before he just put me on Clomid. I will probably go on it eventually, but I want to know what's wrong! Poor DW has to do his "special" test too, but more about that later.......

P.s. Thank you to my new friend Deanna! Your comments always encourage me!

2 comments:

Deanna: Infertile Momma said...

You are too sweet!
Sounds like you're prepared for the new plan of action. Good job getting in all the research. Very interesting! I definitely suggest at least the 800mg Ibuprofen before the HSG. I've read that many women didn't think it was that bad but mine was a doozy. Better to be prepared and take the 800mg than be like me and wish you had. Sending lots of prayers your way. The road to baby appears to be bumpy but its a road nonetheless.

Mommy In Waiting said...

Ugghh! That's what I was afraid of. Thank you for the advice! All of it! :O)